Sunday, December 31, 2006

All Parts are NOT Equal


At left find a pic of two equivalent parts sourced from two separate vendors. These clamps each represent one of four that are used to hold a sway bar onto the front axle beam on Type I air cooled VW's. The part on the left is from Bugs For You (www.bfyonline.com); that on the right is from CIP1 (www.cip1.com), an otherwise reputable supplier. I'd tried fitting the right part and its' brethren from the kit onto my axle beam, but as you can see, the part is much smaller and simply would not close around the beam. The BFY parts I had in place in about an hour. The CIP1 rubber was also configured a bit differently, making the installation a little more challenging.

Price difference here was insignificant - so it pays to shop! How much is your time worth?

You have the option of installing urethane bushings but I am sticking to a stock arrangement and used new rubber bushings with these, also sourced from BFY.

1 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, March 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Larry from 68autobug

Well now, I have a set of Nolathane red sway bar bushes with new clamps..
I just hope they fit..

You've done excellent work on Your Ghia..

cheers

Lee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home