Friday, August 23, 2013

The Ghia is Done!

I'm happy to report that after some 25 years of shucking and jiving with my Karmann Ghia, the car is finally finished.

My wife Jackie and I have been on assignment in the Middle East since October of 2012.  We arranged to put the car into the shop for final fit out as described in previous posts at Skyline Auto in Madison, VA.  One day we were sitting at our home one evening when Jackie turned to me and announced, after checking her email, those lovely words that I had been waiting to hear (or, that I had hoped I would announce to my small network of friends and relatives): "The Ghia is done!"  We arranged to pick up the car, with the appropriate arrangements for insurance and tags, during our home leave / R&R in the US during August of this year.  So without further ado, here are the pics of the end product of all of these dreams and visions:





We drove the car over to Delaware for it's maiden voyage - the first real miles on that rebuilt engine and that overhauled transmission, and let me say, there were a few nervous moments.  A gorgeous day for an inaugural cruise, for sure - only a small hint of rain with beautiful blue sky and puffy white clouds like you never see in 'The Sandbox" - so it was top down, for sure.  Jackie led the way in her rental 'chase' car.

A few little vibrations as I brought the car up to speed and then rolled into a gas station on US 29N for the first fill up - with that dreaded ethanol-contaminated swill that substitutes for gasoline in the USA these days.  93 Octane for sure and off we went.  Otherwise, the car is tight!

I had to learn how to shift the autostick all over again on those rolling country roads of central Virginia, and it was a joy.  First nervous moment: we stopped for a picnic lunch beside a small gas station.  When we pulled out for the final leg, we'd gone about a mile down the road when the Ghia's engine sputtered and flat out DIED - nothing!  I quickly turned into the driveway of a private home to get the car off the road.  Panic set in - no gas? no fire?  After a frantic call to Grant at Skyline who offered there might be a vapor lock - we let the car cool for a moment, then tried her again.  Praise God, she fired back to life, and off we went.  From that point, the engine just got stronger and more dialed in.

This car really is meant for cruising - the sweet spot is about 55 to 65 miles per hour (who knows what RPM that might be) in 2nd gear, and I know she'll go a bit more but I wasn't about to push it that first few hundred miles.  She's doggy in L or 1st gear.  Most modern cars, you can just punch the accelerator and be in the power band quickly but not this car.  But when she's up to speed, she is smooth and responsive.

What a joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home